Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Lessons in Snow

Patiently awaiting the arrival of Winter Storm "Q", I find myself thinking about snow. 
More precisely, about Missouri snow.  My last experience with snow before moving to Missouri was approximately 20 years ago in Rhode Island.  Of course, 1992-me found the Rhode Island snow to be a most pleasing affair.  However, after a few winters here in Missouri, I've decided that it is definitely time to update my stance on the subject of snow.  
The novelty of snow definitely wears out quickly for the 2013-me.  Shoveling, scraping, earth-friendly salting, slipping, shoveling some more, getting my truck stuck in my own driveway, getting pulled out by a friendly neighbor and then slipping again, is not my idea of a "most pleasing" affair.  However, despite the tedium of snow for the 2013-me, I daresay snow has some at least partially pleasing aspects.

This winter has been quite mild as far as my Missouri winters go.  Definitely nowhere near the "Snowpocalypse" of winters past...

What a pain in the ass...

One of the countless victims of the "Snowpocalypse" - Columbia, Missouri

So mild I find myself actually hoping that we get some substantial snow from the approaching Winter Storm Q.  This brings me to the first positive thing I have to say about snow.  I was pleased to discover that snow can definitely make the drab winter scenery a little more interesting and even a bit dramatic.

Drab, green-less walk through the woods?  No need to fear, snow is here!

Rock Bridge Memorial State Park, a wee bit snowy.
Have you ever seen a more interesting set of stairs??

The dramatic and snowy crevasse into the Devil's Ice Box, Rock Bridge Memorial State Park

The snow and slightly hidden icicles hanging off of this ledge make this drab, sunset-hour, winter woodland scene a tad (over?) dramatic.
Additionally, I would like to thank snow for inspiring me to enjoy many of the darker, richer styles of beer which have served to warm my bones on many a cold winter's evening.  The legendary "Snowpocalypse" is directly responsible for making me brew my first Russian Imperial Stout with the intention of enjoying them during subsequent "snowpocalypses" (I really want to say "snowpocali") which have yet to occur...

I still have a few bottles of this tasty Russian Imperial Stout ready to go at the slightest hint of another MSE (Major Snow Event).

Finally, did I mention that I like to build snowmen?  I think the 1992-me would find that to be "most pleasing" indeed.


Go build a snowman/woman/person!
So, I guess what I mean to say is that snow is alright by me (mostly, sometimes, very briefly).






No comments:

Post a Comment